Sunday, December 10, 2006

special needs, LD, challenged...

I haven't blogged in awhile, so I figured I would write something today.
So, here it is....
The terms special needs, learning disabled, mentally or physically challenged are words that shouldn't be in the world's vocabulary. I understand that we need to describe our weaknesses in some sort of term but these terms make me angry. My children are considered to fall under these terms. If a child has muscular dystrophy, we are made aware of this fact and we focus on it as a people. It's silly in my opinion because maybe the child has many gifts that are overlooked and is lost in this diagnosis. Not that we ignore the muscular dystrophy but we do ignore the compassion the child may have or the level of understanding.
I find that we all have weaknesses, that's human nature but when we focus on these weaknesses and ignore the strengths, nothing gets done. For example: my eldest was told he would never read, always have difficulty with social concepts and end up on welfare. (now, this is where I get to brag) He's a grade ahead in language arts , 2 grades ahead in history, and holding straight A's in his own grade. He's one of the most popular children at his youth group and he's holding his own just fine at his other activities. The YMCA has already offered him a job in the babysitting room when he turns 14 because he is giving, compassionate and responsible. So, there's his academic, socialization and work...
My youngest has the same weaknesses as my oldest with his language and he's 2 grades ahead in math and science and holding his own in his own grade. We do an hour of school and if we keep up at this pace by September of next year he will begin grade 4 overall at 8 years of age. What's the special needs, LD, or challenge there?
When I was growing up I was told I had a 'lazy tongue' that's what they termed speech and language delays back than. I would never read, write, or be good at anything. My father wouldn't hear of such a thing! Both my parents pushed me like any other child. Get your homework done, work hard, be kind to others was our motto growing up. Now, I educate my children, am married to a supportive, (high maintenance-gifted) guy, run a home child care (have been doing that on and off for the last 15 years) and have many good years ahead. I have been offered 2 supervisory positions, an EA position, and a job starting a new youth program within the last 3 months. Turned them down to continue home educating.
My brother was told the same diagnosis, he is presently a mechanical engineer with a 6 figure income. Don't tell him he can't do something, he'll prove you wrong by the end of the day...LOL
Why is that people focus on the negative and just assume that because I am home with my boys that all I do is sit around and watch Soaps (which I hate) and eat bon bons all day. (I wish, I could stand to gain a little weight..lol)
Our day starts at 6 am and ends at 10. I get to sit between 6:30 am and 7:30 am write on this blog or check my websites or surf the web and that's my rest for the day. The remainder of the day is spent on my feet. There is nothing lazy, slothful, or unfocused happening throughout my days. Why would I expect anything less from children?
With their weaknesses and their strengths, they are thriving against all odds! They work hard, play hard, and love hard. I have a good family and I am thankful for them.
I moderate a special needs home education forum and the biggest complaint amoung participants is the fact their children are being told they can't accomplish something. They have weaknesses like anybody else and they do need a little extra help but that doesn't mean they can't hold their own! Their children are home with them because the education system refused to help with an IEP or funding was dispersed poorly, or their child was told they wouldn't live to age 3 and now they are functioning at a level that overwhelm doctors and impress professionals. Why?
Because parents refused to focus on a weakness and decided to push for the strength. Good parenting and love is changing the world, one child at a time.

No comments:

Forgiveness

Forgiveness

Carry Me

Carry Me

Spiritual Warfare

Spiritual Warfare

Carry Cross?

Carry Cross?

I Am. Canadian?

I Am. Canadian?

Save the Children

Save the Children

Let the little children come to Me

Let the little children come to Me

Safely Home

Safely Home

Foolish

Foolish

Thanks be to God!

Thanks be to God!

Sacrifice

Sacrifice

Healed

Healed

Spirit's Fire

Spirit's Fire

Sharing

Sharing

Covenant

Covenant

Prayer

Prayer

Angels Heard on High

Angels Heard on High

Trumpet Blows

Trumpet Blows

The Word

The Word

Ultimate Sacrifice

Ultimate Sacrifice

Love

Love

Charge over Thee

Charge over Thee

Power and Glory

Power and Glory

Spiritual Battle

Spiritual Battle