Sunday, December 10, 2006

Special Needs and Common Sense

I have two mildly (I mean extremely mildly) special needs children. They have the same thing I have. Tourette, anxiety, and (well not everything from me)gifted. Now a days to have a disability means funding, labels, Individualized Education Plans(IEP), therapy, and medication. Although many of these things are greatly needed and much appreciated by the child and the parent, it is not always necessary. This is my experience.
My eldest is now 12 years old. When he was 5 years old we enrolled him in the public school system. By the time Christmas came of the same year, he had been diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder because of a speech and language delay. He had an IEP, Occupational Therapist and a Speech Therapist. I was being asked if I would consider medication and was told he would never learn to read. "He has limitations today and will always have limitations." That's what every mother wants to hear for their child. Well, intuition told my husband and I that the 'professionals' weren't quite getting it. To make a long story a little shorter, he does not have PDD and he can read 2 grade levels above his. He does have tourette which was found out much later and anxiety which has never been professionally diagnosed, the speech and language delay is completely gone. So what? A few tics and a little printing problem. I'm not worried about it and neither is he.
My youngest (6 years old)has tourette, anxiety and is extremely intelligent. He has never been diagnosed officially for any of it. But sometimes a mom knows best! He has never been in school. He will be receiving speech therapy for his delay next month. He is a grade level ahead in math and is reading at a grade 1 level. His problem solving skills are off the chart!
I have had children with ADD, ADHD, PDD, anxiety, OCD, depression and a slew of behavioural challenges come through my child care. Most parents are very concerned and worried about their children, naturally. They have great difficultly convincing others out there that it's not their parenting that causes these challenges, it's genetics. After a child leaves my care they are more polite, much smarter academically, better social skills, and much more confident in themselves.
The secret? Home Schooling. I refuse to listen to the 'professionals' that say there is no hope. I listen to the professionals that say there is hope. Everyone on this earth has challenges to face. The people with invisible disabilities and the people with visible ones. I don't think there is a person on this earth with out some sort of quark. What I do know is what home schooling has taught me. Perserverance, consistency, hope, organization, routine, and a compliment can go a long way! With less time taken in studies and more time in exploration a child can develop excellent character development, no matter what mould they broke out of.
As a child there was no such thing as IEP's and very few therapists. Children were segregated into separate classes for remedial learning. My parents refused to let that happen to me. I had speech therapy and that was it. I learned to learn. Now a days a disability is almost an excuse instead of a challenge that can be overcome and wonderful things can happen. The greatest example that most people know is Albert Einstein. His mother wouldn't give up on him and he became the greatest minds of all time. He came up with many theories that boggle minds today with his intelligence. Other great minds of home educators are: Benjamin Franklin, Daniel Webster, Winston Churchill, Alexander Graham Bell, Thomas Edison, Pearl Buck, Agatha Christie, C.S.Lewis, and Franklin D. Roosevelt. I'm sure there's more. Many of these were considered problematic in society in their day. But someone believed in them and their own perseverance paid off!
In home child care I see many parents exasperated with the system. Their children have been kicked out of day camps, larger day care centres, and other programs. The smaller child care setting and more one on one have helped with these challenges. There can be too much of a good thing. Like socialization. My children have a bigger social life than I ever had within the education system. They are more polite, have many friends, are compassionate, and much more outgoing than the average. Being there during difficult times have taught them to deal with it and not feel like they are just trying to survive out there in the real world. They are learning adult strategies to deal with different ages and different types of people without discrimination or bullying. These are just a few benefits, that's whole other article!
The secret? Home Schooling. It's not hard, it's not impossible. It's easy and fun!It's a relaxed and calm approach to common sense parenting. If a child isn't ready for the system and would benefit with a little more one on one. Then Home schooling provides an instant IEP and parents expect more out of their children (for example, my children need 80% or more for a passing grade) and would never give up on them! I am not against public school, many children and families do great in them! What I am against are the people who give up on a child because they have a little challenge that they don't have time for, or are embarrassed of, or just don't understand.
I guess I have a real heart for the lost. Like bringing home a stray and turning it into a show dog. LOL I know that's a terrible analogy but it's the only way I think of to express my point.
To my children who have already beat the system and have come out with flying colours! They don't have disabilities. They have gifts! Mom loves you guys!

No comments:

Forgiveness

Forgiveness

Carry Me

Carry Me

Spiritual Warfare

Spiritual Warfare

Carry Cross?

Carry Cross?

I Am. Canadian?

I Am. Canadian?

Save the Children

Save the Children

Let the little children come to Me

Let the little children come to Me

Safely Home

Safely Home

Foolish

Foolish

Thanks be to God!

Thanks be to God!

Sacrifice

Sacrifice

Healed

Healed

Spirit's Fire

Spirit's Fire

Sharing

Sharing

Covenant

Covenant

Prayer

Prayer

Angels Heard on High

Angels Heard on High

Trumpet Blows

Trumpet Blows

The Word

The Word

Ultimate Sacrifice

Ultimate Sacrifice

Love

Love

Charge over Thee

Charge over Thee

Power and Glory

Power and Glory

Spiritual Battle

Spiritual Battle